Want to quit Instagram ? Or do you have two Instagram accounts in your possession and want to delete one? Whatever the reason that motivates your desire, know that deleting your Instagram account responds to a very specific process. In this article, we'll walk you through what to do depending on whether you want to quit Instagram permanently or temporarily .
If you've started to get bored on Instagram or are driven by a desire to do a digital detox, you've already faced this problem: you can't see the delete my account button on Instagram . You have certainly browsed in vain through the different menus, settings and options of your mobile application and even clicked on your Instagram profile picture ... in vain: impossible to leave Instagram !
In reality, Instagram does not really make it easy for users to leave the network. First thing to know, it is not possible to delete an Instagram account on a mobile . So you won't be able to turn off Instagram from an iPhone or even an Android phone. To close your Instagram account , you have to go to the application site from a web browser.
I - Delete your Instagram account: two options are available
- Temporarily deactivate the Instagram account : if you opt for this solution, your account will be inaccessible but you can reactivate it at any time.
- Delete your account permanently : as its name indicates, the account will be deleted at the same time as all your data without the possibility of reactivation.
II - How to deactivate your Instagram account?
Deactivating your Instagram account is the best thing to do when in doubt. By opting out, you will still be able to recover your account when Instagram misses you. Your account will no longer be visible to your friends or even on the network but will not be destroyed. Deactivation is done on the Instagram web platform.
Using a laptop, go to the Instagram website:
- Log in using your credentials from the login button.
- Click on your profile icon on the home page, which is on the right side of the screen, opposite the instagram logo.
- Then go to Settings .
At this level, you will see a page called ' Edit Profile '. The Temporarily deactivate my account button is located at the bottom of said page. When you click this button, Instagram will ask you to select the reason you want to deactivate your account from the drop-down list.
Once done, you can:
- Enter your password to confirm deactivation.
- Click on the Temporarily disable account button.
- Choose the Yes option in the deactivation confirmation window.
Your account will then be deactivated and you will be redirected to the home page of the Instagram site.
III - How to delete an Instagram account permanently?
As for the deactivation, you will have to go to the website of the mobile application. Here are the steps you will need to follow to permanently delete your Instagram account :
- Open the dedicated Instagram account deletion page from the web browser.
- Save your credentials: username and password .
- On the page, you will be prompted for the reason for deleting your account by selecting an answer from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your password a second time.
- And finally click on the red button Delete my Instagram account : be careful! this action is irreversible.
You will finally receive a message stating that your Instagram account has been deleted.
IV - How to reactivate a temporarily disabled Instagram account?
Reactivating a temporarily deactivated Instagram account is possible and is done according to a very simple procedure. All you need is:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Once on the Instagram page dedicated to the identification: enter your username, your e-mail address or your telephone number.
- Then enter your password.
- Click the login button.
Your account will be active again and you will be able to access it.
If you have forgotten your password, you can request a reset, the steps of which are as follows:
- Click on forgotten password at the bottom of the login form .
- Enter the email address associated with your Instagram account.
You will immediately receive an email with the steps to obtain a new password.
In addition, it should be noted that if you choose to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily, you will only be able to reactivate it after one week.
V - How to recover an Instagram account that has been permanently deleted?
Have you permanently deleted your Instagram account but want to recover it? It could be quite complicated. As per Instagram policy, permanently deleted accounts are not normally recoverable. From the moment the account has been deleted via your password, it is no longer possible to go back. This is why you have to think carefully before deleting your Instagram account permanently . However, under certain conditions, it may be possible to restore a deleted Instagram account :
- If your account was deleted after a hack;
- Or if it is an account deleted due to a handling error.
If you find yourself in one of the situations mentioned above, you will need to contact the Instagram help center.