Given the great success that the Instagram story format, also called ephemeral content, has had with Internet users, no social network is without it. Whether on Whatsapp , Facebook or Instagram , it is now possible to make or watch stories . Even Twitter got into it recently through its fleet feature . On Instagram , posting a story via your phone couldn't be easier. But when using the web version of the social network, we find that posting on insta from mac or Windows is more complex. Unable to publish a story on Instagram with the desktop version ? How to post on insta on pc ? We are looking into the matter.
I - Create Instagram stories on computer: information to know
First of all, you should know that Instagram does not yet allow you to publish stories from its web platform. You will certainly have noticed that the little “+” button that allows you to create an IG post or story is only available on the mobile application. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to post Instagram stories using a computer. You will simply have to circumvent the limitations posed by the social network if you want to create your IG stories from a laptop.
Two solutions are recommended. They both allow you to create Insta stories on computer but under certain conditions. The first solution is to use the Chrome browser developer tools . The second allows you to go through a social media content planning application in order to schedule the publication of the IG story on the web .
1) Solution #1: Post an Instagram story on computer with chrome
Thanks to Google's Chrome tool , you can make an IG story from the desktop version of the application. To do this, here is the procedure to follow:
- Open a new tab in Google Chrome.
- Log into their Instagram account using their credentials and open their profile page.
- If you are using a mac: Once logged into your account, click on the View option and then Developer option .
- If you have Windows: Click on the 3 dots at the top left of your profile . Do More tools , then Developer tools .
- Then type Ctrl + shift + M to open the Toggle device toolbar or click on the corresponding option at the top on the menu.
- Select Responsive to choose your phone's menu from the drop-down list that will be offered to you.
- Now click on the button on the home page of your Instagram account: it will be at the bottom left like on a smartphone.
- You will then see the Your Story option appear : click on the button, then on Import a photo to create your IG story on computer .
This method, although effective, has a limitation. It only gives you the possibility to publish 5 stories.
How to View an Instagram Story Without Being Seen
2) Publish an insta story on pc with a social media manager
It is possible to create Instagram video stories from certain tools such as Agora Pulse, Hootsuite , Buffer, Later, etc. These are applications available in web and mobile version that allow you to program and plan your content creation on social networks . With Agora Pulse, for example, it will be easier for you to add an IG story from your computer. Here are the steps to publish a story on Instagram on pc with agora pulse:
- Log in to your agora pulse account or create one if you haven't already;
- Once connected to your Instagram account (which must be linked to agora pulse beforehand), click on Publish .
- Import the image you want to publish in story or on your Instagram feed
- Resize your image as needed so that it can match the required format on Instagram.
- Publish to your Instagram account from the application: At this level, you will have the choice between publishing in story immediately or scheduling publication for a later date.
It should be noted that the use of the Agora Pulse application is chargeable. However, it is possible to benefit from a free trial period of 28 days.
3) Some tools that allow you to post IG stories from computer
If Agora Pulse hasn't convinced you, you can always turn to other content planning tools. Thanks to these you will be able to upload stories on Instagram from a Mac or a Windows computer.
- The Buffer post scheduling tool
Buffer is one of the best-known tools for publishing content on social networks. It allows you to make scheduled publications, to have an editorial calendar in advance and to plan the publication of a story on Instagram by computer . Before the scheduled publication date, the application sends you a notification so that you validate the sharing of the post. Just confirm the publication and your post will be relayed on social networks.
The free version of Buffer offers some pretty cool options. However, you will only be able to manage one account in free mode. To have more options, you will have to upgrade to the paid version, which is $10 per month.
- Hootsuite, social media planner
To plan content for social networks, Hootsuite is one of the most effective tools. Quite popular with content creators, it allows them to schedule and post ephemeral Instagram photos or videos on Instagram .
You can use this scheduling software to manage up to 3 social networks with its free version. Which is quite interesting if you are a community manager. The pro version of Hootsuite is worth 9.99 euros per month.
Ultimately, if you want to post an Instagram story on pc , mac or Windows, either with solution 1 or tip 2, you will be subject to limitations. You will only be able to publish a limited number of stories. To have the freedom to publish as many stories as you want, the desktop version of Instagram is not necessarily the ideal channel. It is therefore preferable to use the Instagram mobile application to have more freedom and choice.